Chef Brian's Prime Rib Roast (with How-To video)
This recipe covers everything you need to make a delicious Prime Rib Roast. Follow along with Chef Brian's demonstration video. Scroll down the page for Horseradish and Au Jus recipes.
Preparation (24 hours prior to roasting)
- 16 Stems Fresh Rosemary
- 20 Cloves Fresh Peeled Garlic
- 1 Package Prime Rib Seasoning Blend
Season the roast with the Prime Rib Seasoning Blend.
Coat the entire roast generously on all sides. This will create your delicious crust.
Foil a low-lipped roasting pan, then place 8 stems of rosemary and 12 cloves of garlic in the bottom of the pan.
Place the bone side of the roast down on top of this.
Add the remainder of the garlic cloves and rosemary on the top of the roast.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight to season.
- Heat Oven to 400°.
- Remove the Roast from the refrigerator and unwrap, let stand for 30 minutes.
- Before roasting, place one inch of water in the bottom of the pan.
- Place Roast in oven for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 325°.
- Heat until roast reaches an internal temperature of 115°. (Always use a good meat thermometer).
- Remove from oven and discard all rosemary and garlic from roast.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before placing roast on a BBQ with a low flamed bed of hot red oak coals.
- Turn the roast 2-3 times until you reach the internal temperature of 130°.
- Rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- If finishing in oven: Continue to roast until you reach the internal temperature of 130°.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Creamed Horseradish Sauce:
- 2 Cups Sour Cream
- 4 Tablespoons of prepared horseradish
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire
Mix ingredients and refrigerate for 2 hours prior to serving.
Liquid from the roast pan, strained
1 cup of beef broth
½ Cup of Petite Sirah wine
¼ Cup of Worcestershire sauce
Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to a boil.